Pages

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 13 August 2014

Avast email alerting with Gmail


Avast email alerting with Gmail


Since I'm the IT person, I'm setting up everyone on Avast (unfortunately MSE is going away).

Avast has a handy 'hay IT guy, you have a virus' alerting system, but it's a teensy bit buggy.  Mostly silent timeout periods that make it look like nothing is working.  Here's how to get it working with Gmail.

Here's what you need:

  • E-mail (SMTP) address, username@gmail.com or whatever your Gmail account is
  • SMTP settings are...
  • Server: smtp.gmail.com
  • Port: 465
  • Security: SSL/TLS
  • From address: I used... firstname.avast@domain.com
  • Check 'requires auth'
  • Enter your gmail sign on stuff

The obvious flaw in this is if I ever change my gmail password, I have to make the rounds with family.  But that's ok.  I'm thankful that the feature even exists.

edit:  Oh, and the settings I changed:

  • Only using browser and file AV
  • Fully auto updating across the board
  • Silent mode across the board
  • Email alerting (under 'antivirus' settings)
  • Uncheck notify for updates (since it should do updates auto)

0 comments:

Post a Comment